APPL640 - PASTORAL LIFE: CALLING, IDENTITY, ETHICS
WITH Ellis André
TERM DATES: MAR 30, 2020 - Jun 12, 2020
3 CREDIT HOURS
A Christian leader’s character and call are the essential foundation of ministry and leadership. Skills, knowledge, ministry practices and spiritual gifts are built on this essential core. The purpose of this course is to assist students in discerning their call to vocational pastoral ministry and to explore with them the essential spiritual, familial, personality, emotional and character issues that enable a lifetime of faithful and enjoyable Christian service. This course also navigates issues in pastoral ethics and aims to help students to establish accountability and a code of ethics for ministry.
The approach to learning in this course is personally reflective and discovery focused, requiring more than academic competency.
This course is a shaping and learning experience focusing on the person and health of the pastor and the health of their ministry. Through participation, research, writing and discerning, you will have the opportunity to mature in the following ways:
- You will discern and articulate your particular pastoral identity from God’s calling and your relationship with others.
- You will nurture self-awareness and emotional maturity and be able to demonstrate this through thoughtful decisions about personal life, family, and relationships, all of which are essential for health and wellbeing in Christian ministry.
- You will develop a capacity to evaluate how the unconscious aspects of life, including inner motivations, assumptions, emotions, hopes, and expectations impact your ministry.
- You will define issues encountered in the life of pastors, and take measures that help to safeguard you against the particular temptations that confront those in pastoral life and ministry.
- You will develop a philosophy of ministry that begins with your pastoral identity and calling.
NOT A STUDENT?APPLY NOW ALREADY A STUDENT?LOG IN TO REGISTER WANT MORE INFO?VIEW THE SYLLABUS
SPIR 699 – Spiritual Formation for Congregations and Christian LeadersOctober 14, 2020
APPL 619CM – Advanced Preaching Mentorship Guided Study (Mandarin)July 9, 2020
APPL 619/DMPM 999 GS – Advanced Preaching Mentorship Guided StudyJuly 8, 2020
SPIR 699CM – Special Topics: Deepening Life with GodJune 30, 2020