HISTORY

Carey Hall was created by the Convention of Baptist Churches of BC, as the organizing body for Carey Theological College and Carey Hall Residence on the University of British Columbia campus. By an affiliation agreement in 1975, Carey Hall is now administered as a ministry of the Canadian Baptists of Western Canada.


 

Carey was established in 1959 by the Province of British Columbia under the Carey Hall Act. Carey began operations in the summer of 1960 as a Christian witness and residence for 42 undergraduate men on the UBC campus. In 1975, a foundation for a graduate school was initiated, which led to the establishment of a Baptist graduate college in June, 1980. The Carey residences became co-ed in 1985, and continue to provide a Christian community for UBC students on campus. The college offered graduate, doctoral, and continuing-education programs of study.

In 1991 the residence and college were separated and renamed as Carey Theological College and Carey Centre. Carey Institute was established in 2006 to fill an educational gap for people wanting to further their theological education and leadership skills through non-traditional means. Carey Institute hosted workshops, seminars, dialogues, skill-building, mission experiences, and short media presentations. Carey Institute also used traditional course formats and culturally contextualized theological education to prepare and equip spiritually maturing persons to integrate theological commitment with life in professional and lay ministry.

Recently Carey adopted a new strategic plan that brings together the passion, skills and expertise of our staff and faculty to be known as one entity; Carey Theological College.  As an accredited academic institution grounded in Christ-centred, biblically-faithful, and missions-focussed Christian leadership, Carey continues to be committed to offering world-class theological degrees and Christian discipleship training to the whole family of God.